How to name your game opera

Image result for oikospiel book
So I recently came across two game operas in one week! Of course, they didn't come out this week, but they still were on itch.io and I had never seen them before. These were David Kanaga's Oikospiel Book 1(which I have yet to play) and Cristiano Vitorino's Beyond the Sky(which I have played). But, because I am Persona 1, I am going to talk about their names, not the actual game.
First of all, a sentence about each game(and what a game opera is). Beyond the sky is a self described "space opera game" about an AI and a human in a ship escaping a dystopian city. Oikospiel Book 1 is a game opera about dogs, and it is deeper than any other game experience you can experience. So I find that the definition of an opera game is a game that takes audio and makes it a prime "mechanic" or "storytelling device", much like an opera.
That being said, what should you name your game opera? Well, I have created a three part method to create the perfect name for your game opera.
Step 1 - Find a title that holds significant meaning.
I remember watching tree of life and seeing the visual effects blend out, and seeing the words "the tree of life", and I wept so hard. This is an example of an excellent title, and that is because it holds a lot of meaning to it that may change your perspective on it because of this name. I think beyond the sky does this especially well because, well, I won't spoil the ending but it fits very well with the game. As for Oikospiel book, I can't say because I haven't played it, but it's award winning, so who cares!
Step 2 - Choose your language.
Audience Study Guide(based on no data but tons of experience) on the language of a name:
English: This is the most general, but if you are targeting speakers of the language, the name
has to have a layer of mystique.
French: Casts an aura of high-browness with whatever name you choose, as long as you're not targeting french speakers
Russian: This appears comedic to any english speaker because russia is made fun of so much, but whatever you are titling has to have a few soviet references in game.
Japanese: Casts this weird aura of sci-fi, cyberpunk, and just "cool" because japanese culture is popular in america for some reason(although I guess they have just a vastly different culture).

Use this information to choose which language your title should be. This is a very simple step.
Step 3 - Mystique
The last step is not up to me in anyway, but to the creator of the name. You need some layer of mystique that intrigues you to the game. If your game is a game opera, chances are you don't have a franchise that sticks out, so you will have to be making a title that speaks for itself. Both Beyond the sky and Oikospiel Book 1 do this extremely well, because it compels the player to ask questions like "What happens beyond the sky" or "What on earth is the oikospiel book".

I hope this post proved helpful or entertaining, because game operas(at least at this period in time) are the 1 in 100,000 with games, and I doubt anyone who is making a game opera will stumble across this page. Without further ado, I hope to see you next time.

- Persona 1

(You can get Oikospiel Book 1 at https://dkoikos.itch.io/oikospiel)
(You can get Beyond the sky for free at https://cristianovitorino.itch.io/beyondthesky)

Comments

Popular Posts